A classmate for mine, Troy, wrote a short response to our friend Jackie's post about Iron man being her hero. I agree very much with Troy on Tony Stark being a nerd. However, I believe Stark is a very complicated type of nerd. As portrayed in both the movies and the comics (yes, I actually read the original comics too), Mr. Stark is a cocky ladies' man as well as a true genius. This contradicts the whole idea of a nerd. How could one man possibly be both socially successful and technology obsessed at the same time! In my opinion, Tony is very good at using his intelligence to his advantage in social situations. He can read social cues from people very well, most likely due to his high level of logical and rational thinking. One could draw a comparison in his way of thinking to that of Sherlock Holmes. Holmes may not be a player like Stark, but his method of deduction through social cues is parallel with Iron Man. As for Stark's suit, it represents the combination of the nerd and the player in him. People see him as a hero due to his actions, but his abilities are all reliant on the technology and research that has gone in to the development of the Iron Man armor. He is, quite literally, a supernerd.
Oh, and as for Robert Downey Jr. portraying Tony Stark, I'm all for it. He's a fantastic actor, and he actually looks like the Tony Stark from the comics. Very alike, in fact.
No comments:
Post a Comment